The 21st Singing Tree – Redwood Singing Tree of Biodiversity by A.P. Giannini Middle School in San Francisco
You’ve come to the place where we turn odds into advantages through the power of creativity and community. How can we beat the odds so our children will thrive?
Unity Through Creativity – a 501 c(3) non-profit, ignites imagination and connections to transform community challenges through educational and arts programs. It was founded by Laurie Marshall in 2001.
“Thank you for your devotion to the children and to the cause of consciousness. We need more like you.”
Edgar Mitchell, 6th astronaut to step on the moon, founder of the Institute of Noetic Sciences
Unity Through Creativity addresses the 4 most important odds of today!!!!!!
Our focus on health begins with a wholistic approach to prevention of disease, starting with healthy food production, healthy exercise and healthy community. With these supports in place, the natural human inclination to grow and learn flourishes. Therefore our programs are rooted in permaculture, movement and creative community building. We also have direct connections to hospitals and hospices, bringing the creative arts to relieve stress and speed healing.
Respected climatologists have observed dangerous signs of climate change. Studies show that our planet faces perilous environmental consequences to the health of our biosphere. We use the arts to tell the story of humanity’s urgent need to demonstrate good stewardship and care for the earth through awareness of Nature’s capacity to regenerate through the principles of Permaculture.
Two years ago, after leading climatologists observed rapid ice melt in the Arctic and other frightening signs of climate change, they issued a series of studies showing that the planet faced both human and natural disaster if atmospheric concentrations of CO2 remained above 350 parts per million. TODAY we ARE at 392! We are including .350 in our artwork.
We shift the educational paradigm from the Industrial model to the Ecological model, where creative problem solving, constant assessment, collaboration and communication solve the real problems of the 21st century. Those problems are the curriculum and these processes promote the love of learning that is every child’s birthright. See our Beating the Odds Now approach.
1.7 billion people in 104 countries living on less than $1.25 a day is unacceptable. 27 million people working in forced labor and as slaves is unacceptable. 40 million people living below the poverty level in the U.S. is unacceptable. We want a world that works for all, where each person’s talent and brilliance can contribute to the well-being of the human family. Entrepreneurial genius lies in the community, with help from outside support. Our envisioning process helps spark creative, sustainable actions that lead to self-sufficiency.
1. “We want for all of the children of the world what we want for our own children – to find their spark and to have the tools and the courage to beat any odds they encounter.” Inspired by Mary Jane Burke, Superintendent of Marin County Schools, California
2. Prepare the next generation to thrive in a world with unprecedented problems by finding unprecedented solutions now!
3. Unleash the creative intelligence of the communities to envision possibilities and spark actions in beating the odds
Shayla, Angel Project
OUR GOALS (by 2014):
1. Roll out Beating the Odds and Safe & Caring programs in 7 US school districts: 2100 teachers and 35,000 students!
2. Deliver community collaborative projects that would touch over 70,000 people and would help envision and realize new possibilities in areas of Education – Environment – Health – Poverty
3. Provide 60+ jobs for at risk/at possibility youth in CA, CO, PA